Friday, April 30, 2010

Canadian navy centennial

Canada Post will issue two stamps May 4 to commemorate the establishment of the Royal Canadian Navy. 

The commemorative stamp issue depicts the past and present of Canada's naval service.

"The two stamps were designed as separate artworks, but they appear as one canvas. They share the same painterly sky, marine life and open sea environments. The two ships, though of a different age, appear as part of the same fleet," notes designer Andrew Perro of the Toronto-based firm, Designwerke. "One of Canada's first warships, the HMCS Niobe, sails alongside a modern frigate, the HMCS Halifax - a feature that speaks to the passage of time, capturing the magnitude of this major centennial milestone." The design is complimented by marine inspired colours and crisp typography

Details of  HMCS Niobe :

Niobe had served in the Royal Navy from 1898 to 1910, one of eight sisters of the Diadem class. She was commissioned in the RCN on September 6, 1910, at Devonport, and arrived at Halifax on October 21. Niobe was nearly lost during the night of July 30-31, 1911, when she went aground off Cape Sable, necessitating repairs that were not completed until the end of 1912.

In the fall of 1914, after the ravages of two years' disuse had rectified, she joined the RN's 4th Cruiser Squadron on contraband patrol off New York .
Worn out, she returned to Halifax on July 17, 1915, never to put to sea again. She was paid off that September 6 and became a depot ship. Her upperworks were wrecked in the Halifax explosion of December 6, 1917, but she continued to serve as a depot ship until 1920, when she was sold for scrap. Niobe was broken up at Philadelphia two years later.


HMCS HALIFAX, FFH 330, was built in Saint John, New Brunswick, and commissioned in Halifax on 29 June 1992.   She is the first of twelve “HALIFAX” Class Frigates and one of the most capable frigates in the world.
Between April and August 1994, HALIFAX was deployed on her first Standing Naval Force Atlantic (SNFL), during OP SHARK GUARD, enforcing UN sanctions against former Yugoslavia.
In May 1995, HALIFAX had the honour of attending VE celebrations in Oslo, Norway and in Gydnia Poland.  HALIFAX was the first Canadian Warship to visit Poland since the end of WWII.

It was a pleasant surprise to me ,when i received a mail from the designer of this Stamps appreciating the  efforts . Check out his website. for the mail Andrew.

Monday, April 26, 2010

H.M.S. Fox

The Stamp above is of H.M.S. Fox of Sierra Leone .Its SG 832B as per Stanley Gibbon's catalog.
Built as a second class protected cruiser by the Portsmouth Dockyard for the Royal Navy,15 June 1893 launched as HMS FOX one of the Astraea class.

Displacement 4.360 ton full load, dim. 98 x 15.1 x 5.8m. (draught).
Powered by two 3-cyl. triple expansion steam engines, 7.500 ihp, twin shafts, speed 18 knots. Maximum power 9.500 ihp.
Bunker capacity 1.000 tons of coal
Armament 2 – QF 6 inch, 8 – QF 4.7 inch, 10 – 6 QF 6pdrs.and 1 – QF 3 pdr. 4 – 18 inch torpedo tubes.
Range 7.000 mile by a speed of 10 knots.
Crew 318.
14 April 1896 completed.

She was sheated with copper to make her suitable for service in tropical waters. Designed for overseas duty where they was unlikely to encounter first class opposition. She was useful for showing the flag, suppressing piracy, escorting convoys during war time, supporting colonial governments, and generally intimidating minor powers.
1898 Was she at Sierra Leone to suppress the upraising led by Chief Bai Bureh against the British rule in the country for a “Hut Tax”.

By 1906 she was serving on the East Indies Station, but was paid off in January 1907 and sent to the reserve fleet.
May 1908 recommissioned for service in the Home Fleet.
June 1908 send to the East Indies.
HMS Fox was recommissioned at Aden in July 1912. At the start of the war she was part of the East Indies Station, under Rear-Admiral Sir R. H. Pierse. This was a small squadron, containing the battleship SWIFTSURE, the FOX and the cruiser DARTMOUTH. Its job was to protect the trade routes between Aden and Singapore, a vast area. It was believed that the forces on the China station and in the Australian fleet would prevent the German East Asian cruisers reaching this area.
In August 1914 the FOX was ordered to Colombo, to guard against the perceived threat from armed liners. While there she captured the Deutsch-Australische steam AUSTRALIA (10 August) and the Hansa liner MOTKEFELS (11 August), in the period before news of the war had reached every ships captain
On 3 and 4 November 1914 she supported the British troops during the attack on the port of Tanga in German East Africa.

Then took she part in the hunt for the German light cruiser SMS KÖNINGSBERG and took part in the raid on Dar-es-Salaam where she bombarded the city.
In January 1915 FOX was part of the force which occupied Mafia Island.
In January 1917 she was based at Port Sudan. By March she was on escort duties between Aden, Colombo and Bombay. By November, during the cruiser of the German commerce raider WOLF, she was at Aden, and was part of the Red Sea Patrol, remaining there until the end of the war.

In 1918 the FOX played a critical role while in the Red Sea in supporting the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire, flying the flag of Commander William Boyle, 12th Earl of Cork. 

14 July 1920 sold to Cardif Marine Stores and broken up in the autumn of 1923 in Watchet Harbour, Bristol Channel.

Reference :

Thursday, April 22, 2010

AAT - 50th anniversary of the Kista Dan's

The set of  stamp was issued to mark the 50thKista Dan's first voyage to the Antarctic. Australia Post has released four stamps featuring the distinctive Dan ships – Kista Dan, Thala Dan, Magga Dan and Nella Dan.

The Kista Dan was the first of four 'Dan' ships built by the Danish firm J Lauritzen and chartered by Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) for Australian Antarctic exploration and scientific research.

50c Kista Dan:

The charter of Kista Dan opened the door to Antarctica for ANARE. Much subantarctic research had been done since 1947 but in early 1954 the ice-strengthened Kista Dan allowed the establishment of Australia's first continental station – Mawson. On the return voyage Kista Dan weathered a 12-hour hurricane in Prydz Bay, when winds of over 100 knots and huge seas rolled her to 70°. Kista Dan is recognised in the naming of Kista Rock, west of Davis and Kista Strait, west of Mawson.
50c Magga Dan:

Magga Dan sailed down the Thames in November 1956 for her maiden voyage – to deploy the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition, and the Royal Society's Antarctic Expedition, to the Weddell Sea. In her ANARE service from 1959 to 1961, Magga Dan with Director Phil Law, surveyors, scientists and pilots, explored most of the coastline of Australian Antarctic Territory, from Mawson to Oates Land. The Australian flag was raised near Magga Peak in February 1959

$1 Thala Dan:

Thala Dan was launched in 1957, and was chartered by Australia later that year, working with ANARE until early 1982. On her voyage to Macquarie Island in late 1958 she carried the first helicopter used by ANARE. Thala Dan was extended six metres, rebuilt and modernised in 1975. The top superstructure deck was removed, a new deck built, and the old deckhouse replaced one level higher. This increased expeditioner accommodation to 50. New facilities included a larger helicopter deck, more deep-freeze storage space, and enclosed bridge wings. The new length overall was 81 metres. This $1 stamp features Thala Dan in her original layout. Thala Fjord, Thala Hills, Thala Rock and Thala Valley were named for Thala Dan.

$1.45 Nella Dan:

The most famous of the Dan ships to serve ANARE was the Nella Dan, named in honour of Nel Law. During its 26 years with ANARE it supported major exploratory and scientific activities. While resupplying Macquarie Island in December 1987, the Nella Dan was driven aground and eventually scuttled. The Nella Dan is shown anchored in the Antarctic.

This set of stamps were released on 15April 2003

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

India - INS Shardul FDC

This Special cover was issued on 05 Jan 2007, when INS Shardul, a landing warship, was dedicated to the nation at an event at the Karwar Naval Base, INS Kadamba.

INS Shardul is an important auxiliary warship capable of transporting different kinds of combat equipment. It can carry 11 armoured tanks, 10 Army vehicles and 500 troops besides the crew.
Shardul stands for the Royal Bengal Tiger, symbolising agility, strength and valour. The motto of INS Shardul is `All for one, One for all.' It is the first ship to be commissioned at the Karwar Naval Base. The warship got its name from an earlier warship of the same class that was decommissioned in 1997. 

The ship has expansive accommodation and storage, lift facility, ability to operate in shallow waters and beaching capability. It can act as a hospital ship and a modified fleet tanker for stern fuelling during a limited mission. 


DisplacementFull - 5600
Length 124.5 m
Beam 17.5 m
Draft 4 m
Speed 15.8 kts / +16 knots
Armament 4 x 40 mm Bofors
2 multi barrel rocket launchers
Aircraft 1 x Sea King 42C (Platform for 2)
Crew16 (Officers)
120 (Enlisted)
Capacity 11 main battle tanks
500 troops

Monday, April 19, 2010

Argentina- FDC of South American Sails 2010

This FDC was issued on 20 Feb 2010 celebrating “South American Sails 2010”,An International Fixture Regatta for the Greatest Sailing Ships.

“Sails of South America 2010” has brought together magnificent sailing ships, among them frigates, schooners and brigs from various countries of the Americas and Europe to participate in the Bicentennial Regatta.

The event is organized by the navies from Argentina and Chile to celebrate the bicentennial of the first national governing board during the struggle of South American countries to break away from the then Spanish colonial empire.

The unique challenge has gathered thousands of navigators in the most important ports of the region, sailing emblematic places for the mariners of all times, like the circumnavigation of the mythical “Cape Horn”.

I recently acquired this from Ganesh of Chennai.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

US Stamp honor 4 Navy veterans

From admiral to mess attendant, four sailors who distinguished themselves are being honored in the U.S. postage stamps.

The stamps feature:

William S. Sims, commander of U.S. naval forces in Europe during World War I, who was an outspoken reformer and innovator who helped shape the Navy into a modern fighting force

Arleigh A. Burke, a top destroyer squadron commander in World War II, who later served three terms as chief of naval operations, the Navy's highest ranking officer.
John McCloy, one of the few men in the nation's history to earn two Medals of Honor — one for a rescue mission during the Boxer Rebellion in which he was wounded and the second during the 1914 Mexican Revolt for intentionally exposing his boat to draw enemy fire to identify their positions. In 1919, he was awarded the Navy Cross as commander of USS Curlew, which engaged in sweeping mines in the North Sea after World War I.

Petty Officer Doris Miller, cited as the first black American hero of World War II. At Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, he was a mess attendant on the battleship USS West Virginia. Miller helped rescue scores of shipmates wounded or trapped in wreckage, later helping move the ship's mortally wounded captain. Never trained in its operation, he manned an unattended 50-caliber machine gun to fire on Japanese aircraft until ordered to abandon the bridge as fires raged out of control. He was awarded the Navy Cross and was killed in action in 1943.
The stamps were issued on 4th Feb 2010 by the The U.S. Postal Service.
Details from :

Jersey Postal History IV - Mail Ships

On 8th May 2010, Jersey Post will issue a new set of six postage stamps in the Jersey Postal History series.

Jersey Postal History IV 'Mail Ships' features some of the many ships which have transported the mail to and from Jersey between 1794 and 1948.

A Prestige Booklet will also be issued.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Maritime Heritage - Kunjali Marakkar - 400 Years

The India's maritime heritage dates back to the Indus Valley Civilization (circa 3000 B.C.). The discovery of Lothal port and dock (circa 2400-1900 B.C.) bear testimony to this. After the landing of Vasco da Gama in Calicut in 1498 A.D., the Portuguese slowly gained influence and started interfering in the trade. Mohammed Kunjali Marakkar, the first Admiral of Calicut who offered to the Zamorin his sword, ships and services, dedicated his entire energies in fighting the foreign domination of Indian seas. He was the first of the four Kunjalis who played a heroic part in the Naval wars with the Portuguese. The most famous of the Marakkars was Kunjali IV, who fought the Portuguese more fiercely than his predecessors and with far greater success. However, the initial successes appear to have made him arrogant to the extent of ignoring the authority of the Zamorin. The Portuguese clinched a deal with Zamorin to suppress the 'rebel' Admiral, and in 1600 jointly laid siege of his fort, bringing to an end the long tradition of the legendary Marakkars. Kunjali IV who surrendered to the Zamorin was executed in Goa. The stamp design shows the war-paroe, a small craft used by the Kunjalis, which, manned by just 30-40 men each, could be rowed through lagoons and narrow waters.(Details from DKPNA)

If anybody has the above stamps for exchange or sell please let me know. 

Wednesday, April 14, 2010


Theme : Armed forces


Date Of Issue: 12-Aug-2008

Denomination: 500(Ps)

No/Issue Sheet: 40

Printing Process: Photogravure

Nos. Printed: 0.8 Million

Printer: Security Printing Press, Hyderabad

Government of India constituted the Indian Coast Guard Organization on 1st February, 1877, as an Armed Force of the Union under the Ministry of Defence.

It is primarily a law enforcement agency of the Government of India. The coast Guard's broad charter of duties includes providing protection to fishermen including assistance to them at sea while in distress, preservation and protection of marine environment, safety and protection of offshore installations and artificial islands, prevention and control of marine pollution, carrying out anti smuggling and anti piracy operations and ensuring safety of life and property at sea.
The stamps have been designed to highlight the relationship between the Maritime Waters of India and the Indian Coast Guard. The first two stamps high light the air capabilities of the Indian Coast Guard, showing a Dornier Fixed Wing Aircraft and an Advanced Light Helicopter. The surface capability of the Coast Guard is shown through stamps depicting a Hover craft and an Advance Offshore Patrol Vessel.
For more details of the indian costal gaurd do visit there website:

Tuesday, April 13, 2010


Stamp Issue Date : 15/12/1997 
Postage Stamp Dinomination : 2.00,6.00,10.00, & 11.00.  
Postal Stamp Name : POST OFFICE THEME - INDEPEX 97

Stamp Information : The Department of Posts had organising Indepex '97 World Philatelic Exhibition coinciding with the Golden Jubilee celebration of India's Independence. The exhibition was held from 15-22 December 1997 at Pragati maidan, New Delhi. To commemorate this event, a series of stamps have brought out. The first was on the logo of Indepex '97 followed by Centres of Culture, Beaches of India and Rural Women. The final series of stamps of Indepex '97 depict the post office theme which include a Mail Ship, the Indian River Mail, the Cancellation with a portrait of Jal Cooper and Post Office Heritage Building.
Philatelic Stamp Description : Cancellation by Smt. Alka Sharma.
Stamp Currency : R
Stamp Language : English
Stamp Overall Size : 3.91 X 2.90 cms 
Postal Stamp Print Size : 3.55 X 2.5 cms. 
Number of Stamps Per Sheet : 12 
Stamp Perforations : 13 x 13  
Postal Stamp Shape : Horizontal 
Postage Stamp Paper : Unwatermarked adhesive Gravure coated stamp paper Indian Stamp Process : Photogravure 
Number of stamps printed : 0.7 million 
Stamp Printed At : India Security Press 
Indian Stamp's Color : Multicoloured

Details from:

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

HMY Britannia

The Royal Yacht Britannia is one of the world's most famous ships. Launched at John Brown's Shipyard in Clydebank in 1953, the Royal Yacht proudly served Queen and country for 44 years. During that time Britannia carried The Queen and the Royal Family on 968 official voyages, from the remotest regions of the South Seas to the deepest divides of Antarctica.

As 83rd in a long line of Royal Yachts that stretches back to 1660 and the reign of Charles II, Britannia holds a proud place in British maritime history. On 16 April 1953, Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia rolled down the slipway at John Brown's Clydebank Shipyard, on the start of her long and illustrious career. Commissioned for service in January 1954, Britannia sailed the oceans for 43 years and 334 days. She travelled a total of 1,087,623 nautical miles, calling at over 600 ports in 135 countries.

In June 1994, the Government announced that Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia would be taken out of service. At the beginning of January 1997, Britannia set sail from Portsmouth to Hong Kong on her last and longest voyage. On 11 December 1997 Britannia was decommissioned at Portsmouth Naval Base in the presence of The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and 12 senior members of the Royal Family. Some 2,200 Royal Yacht Officers and Yachtsmen, together with their families, came to witness the ceremony.

Four months later, after intense competition from cities around the UK, the Government announced that Edinburgh had been successful in its bid to become her new home. She is now owned by The Royal Britannia Trust, a charitable organisation whose sole remit is the maintenance of Britannia in keeping with her former role. Britannia is now permanently moored in Edinburgh's historic port of Leith and visitors can discover what life was like on board the ship for the Royal Family and crew.

Britannia is now a five-star visitor attraction and one of the UK's most prestigious corporate hospitality venues.

HMY Britannia official web site

Sunday, April 4, 2010

New Zealand -Sir Peter Blake Limited Presentation Pack

New Zealand - A Great Thematic - Honouring a New Zealand icon of the seas.

Sir Peter James Blake, KBE (1 October 1948 in Auckland – 6 December 2001 in Brazil) was a New Zealand yachtsman who won the Whitbread Round the World Race, the Jules Verne Trophy – setting the fastest time around the world of 74 days 22 hours 17 minutes 22 seconds on catamaran Enza, and led his country to successive victories in the America’s Cup. In honour of his services to yachting, Blake was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1995, and received an honorary doctorate in 2000 from AUT University. Sir Peter was on the Amazon River monitoring environment change when he was murdered in Brazil on 6th December 2001. When internationally renowned sailor and environmentalist Sir Peter Blake was murdered in 2001, the people of New Zealand were shaken to the core. A long-time icon of the nation - winner of global ocean races, indefatigable leader of our challenge for the America's Cup - Sir Peter was just beginning a new phase of his life, raising public awareness of the threats facing the planet's aquatic environment.

In November 2009, New Zealand Post to honour this extraordinary man with a stamp release that will be launched just days before Voyager New Zealand Maritime Museum opens its new exhibition: Blue Water Black Magic - A Tribute to Sir Peter Blake.Take a look at our website and you'll see that we've created a superb range of collectables for you to choose from. The stamps celebrate five elements of Sir Peter's life, around leadership and determination. There are also two first day covers, a miniature sheet and a presentation pack, with commentary from Peter Montgomery, the voice of yachting in New Zealand. The presentation pack includes a special imperforate miniature sheet that is also an adult entry ticket (valued at $16.00) to visit Blue Water Black Magic - A Tribute to Sir Peter Blake at Voyager New Zealand Maritime Museum. Only 4,000 of these special imperforate miniature sheets have been produced.We've also chosen this issue to publish one of our prestigious Limited Editions. A unique numbered and limited product, it includes a personal perspective of Sir Peter Blake from world-renowned yachting journalist, Bob Fisher, that I know you'll enjoy reading.
Source : and wikipedia

Saturday, April 3, 2010

India- President's Review of Fleet Stamps

Acquired the President’s Review of Fleet at Visakhapatnam se-tenant blocks with Traffic Lights.
India Post released a set of four postage stamps to commemorate President’s Review of Fleet at Visakhapatnam on February 12, 2006 in the denomination of Rs 5 each. India Security Press printed the stamps in sheets of 16 stamps that is 4 se-tenant blocks by Photo Gravure in the quantity of 0.8 million blocks.
The stamps are printed 4 x 4 and the vertical row 1 and 4 are 54 mm in width while vertical row 2 and 3 are only 52.5 mm. As the stamps in vertical row 1 and 3 (also row 2 and 4) are identical this results in two size for all the four stamps. While overall block size remains same in all cases, the individual stamps differ in size with the horizontally adjacent block.
This is not an error or freak but is a major constant variety that merits a listing in catalogs.

Source: Stamps of India Website

Friday, April 2, 2010

Thailand Ship MS

History of the Royal Barges - a timeless tradition

The history of the royal barges dates back to the Sukhotai era in the 13th century when the first royal barges were reportedly seen. The barges were originally troop carriers at a time when it was more expedient to transport troops into battle along rivers.

As life in Thailand then was so intimately linked to the river, these barges were also used for religious and ceremonial purposes.

During the Ayutthaya era between the 14th - 18th centuries, the royal barge ceremonies flourished particularly during the reigns of King Naresuan and King Narai.

King Naresuan (1590 - 1605 AD) named his personal barge Suphannahongsa, the golden swan or hamsa, the mythical steed of Hindu God Brahma and started the first generation of this famous royal barge. Since then, this has been the name of the King's personal barge. Two more versions have been built since.

In the reign of King Narai, the Royal Barge Processions became more elaborate and one such procession had more than 100 vessels.

Unfortunately all this came to an abrupt end in 1767 when the Burmese sacked Ayutthaya and destroyed all the barges. It was a sad period in the history of the Royal Barges.

The Thonburi era (1767 - 1782) under King Taksin saw a reemergence of royal barge activity. During his reign the Emerald Buddha was brought from Vientiane to Ayutthaya. A hundred and fifteen barges went to Ayutthaya to receive this holy statue and bring it back to Bangkok. Another 131 vessels went up river to welcome the Emerald Buddha.

The Bangkok era, which commenced in 1782, saw a new dawn in the history of the Royal Barges. King Rama I revived the tradition of the royal barges. Sixty were built and modeled on designs in the early Bangkok era. A new Suphannahongsa was built to serve as the King�s personal barge.

Royal barge construction continued under the reign of the Chari kings. King Rama IV ordered the construction of the Anantanakkharat with the seven-headed serpent, Naga on the bow.

During the reign of King Rama V, a new Suphannahongsa was built. It was completed during the reign of King Rama VI in 1911. This version of Suphannahongsa is being used to this day as the King�s personal barge.

The coup in 1932, when Thailand changed from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy, brought about another halt to royal barge activity in its history. Subsequent military governments banned the Royal Barge Ceremonies for the next 25 years.

The history of the royal barges suffered a further setback during World War II, when Japanese bombs damaged several barges. Sections of these barges are still preserved at the Royal Barge Museum.

In 1957 the history of the royal barges took a turn for the better when King Rama IX, the present king, had the barges restored to their former glory.

On 19 May 1957, the first Royal Barge Procession in 25 years sailed down the Chao Phraya River to commemorate the 25th century of the Buddhist Era (BE 2500).

Since then, the Royal Barges have continued to sail down the Chao Phraya River in all their splendor, on special and auspicious occasions, preserving an enduring and timeless tradition

Reaching out to our Maritime Neighbours FDC

Reaching out to our Maritime Neighbours FDC
The Indian Navy, with its professionalism, technical prowess, worldwide arena of operations and human approach is not only ready to defend the nations's maritime interests in peace and war, but also ensures and environment of peace and traquility in the Indian Ocean region by continuously "Reaching out to our Maritime Neighbours".

In India, December 4 is celebrated as Navy Day. On this day, Indian Navy played a significant role in the bombing of Karachi harbor in the 1971 war in Operation Trident which was launched on December 4. Owing to its success, the day of the attack has been celebrated as Navy Day since then.

I received this beautiful FDC from Kasinath with the special cancellation of 09.09.09

Singapore - SG38- 1 Cent

Chinese Sampan

A sampan is a relatively flat bottomed Chinese wooden boat from 3.5 to 4.5 m (approximately twelve to fifteen feet) long. Some sampans include a small shelter on board, and may be used as a permanent habitation on inland waters. Sampans are generally used for fishing or transportation, in coastal areas or rivers. It is unusual for a sampan to sail far from land as they do not have the means to survive rough weather. The word "sampan" literally means "three planks" in Cantonese, from the words sam and pan (plank).[1] This refers to the hull design, which consists of a flat bottom (made from one plank) joined to two sides (the other two planks). The design closely resembles Western hard chine boats like the scow or punt. Sampans may be propelled by poles, oars (particularly a single, long oar called a yuloh) or may be fitted with outboard motors. Sampans are still in use by rural residents of Southeast Asia, particularly Malaysia, Indonesia,Bangladesh, and Vietnam.