In 1975 six stamps were issued depicting Vintage Sailing Ships:
Scow 'Lake Erie' - 4c
Built in 1873 in New Zealand by S Meiklejohn at Omaha.
The first scow to be built, the 'Lake Erie' introduced a new type of vessel to New Zealand waters; flat decked, square sterned, bluff bowed, and flat bottomed - capable of sailing up shallow creeks and remaining on an even keel when aground. The 'Lake Erie' carried 80 tons cargo of logs and timber.
Schooner 'Herald' - 5c
Built in 1826 by H Williams & G Mair at Paihia.
The first vessel to be built for the Church Missionary Society by Rev Henry Williams and Gilbert Mair (chiefly known for his trading activities at Wahapu, and later Surveyor of Ships at Russell).
Brigantine 'New Zealander' - 8c
Built in 1828 by Raine, Ramsay & Brown at Horeke.
Built at about the same time as the mission schooner 'Herald' but to the west on the Hokianga Harbour, the 'New Zealander' was described as one of the prettiest vessels of her class.
Topsail Schooner 'Jessie Kelly' - 10c
Built in 1866 by H Niccol at Devonport.
Niccol was for many years Auckland's foremost ship builder, his yard being at Mechanic's Bay, and later transferred to a patent slip he built at North Shore. The 'Jessie Kelly' was the first vessel to be built and launched from the North Shore and proved to be "one that had never been outsailed".
Barque 'Tory' - 18c
Built in 1834 for Josephy Soames.
Purchased by the New Zealand Company in 1839, the 'Tory' left Plymouth on 12 May of the same year with 35 immigrants headed by Col Wakefield as the advance party for the first organised settlement of New Zealand.
Full Rigged Clipper 'Rangitiki' - 23c
Built in 1863 by M Samuelson of Hull.
Tonnage - 1227 gross
One of the original four ships bought by the newly formed New Zealand Shipping Company in 1873. 'Rangitiki' was in many ways the pride of their fleet of sailing ships, being one of the largest ever owned by the Company, and a record pace maker.