Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lady McLeod


The Lady McLeod was a paddle steamer and a private local post. The ship sailed regularly between Port of Spain and San Fernando, on Trinidad island, now in Trinidad and Tobago from the end of 1845 until 1854. The private local post ran during the same time with the use of postage stamps on its mail from April 1847.

Map of Trinidad: the two towns linked by the Lady McLeod are located on the western part of the island, on the Gulf of Paria.

The private local post of the Lady McLeod began as soon as its service started in November 1845. There were two rates: a monthly subscription of one dollar, or ten cents per letter.

In April 1847, Bryce decided to introduce stamps that were sold individually for 5 cents, or for 4 cents if bought by the hundred. The Lady McLeod only transported letters bearing stamps, or pre-paid mail of the subscribers. The imperforated stamp's illustration was a white ship on a blue background, with the initials "LMc L" printed underneath. Lithographically printed,the stamp was canceled by a cross drawn by hand or by ripping up a corner.

In 1851, the British colony issued its own stamps figuring a sitting Britannia.
Source:wiki

Post a Comment